Friday, January 23, 2009

Setting things straight

I'm just getting started and i just want to put a few things out there. This blog will be about football, centered around the only club i've supported ever since i heard about them, Manchester United. I think i can hear the "oh no, not another United fan" groans.Sorry folks but class always gets appreciated.

So here's my deal. I am indeed a Manchester United fan and i've been one for a decade now. Some would say that i'm just a fan because of the success they've had and to a certain extent i also believe it's true. But i also believe that the name, not to mention the footall they play, would have always drawn me to the club even if they weren't the force that they have been and still are and will be. I just think the name is magnetic for a football fan. And the way they play just adds to one's delight.

My best player ever is the Ginger Prince, Paul Scholes. He, for me is the epitome of an attacking midfielder. A brilliant passer of the ball with unmatched vision and to that a right foot with a deathly power, the knack of finding space in the final third and an eye for goal. Age has caught up with him and affected his way of playing but he remains a master in my eyes.

I, too played football in school and college. I was a John O'Shea-like footballer. I started of as a goalkeeper so that i could break into the school team. Once established, i got promoted to defence where i played centre-back/half. Then i shifted to a midfield-cum-striker role in college depending on the way the coach would play me. I scored just 1 goal while playing for my school. It was a free kick that i curled into the top corner in a match we lost 4-1. I scored 3 goals for my college team in 9 matches.

Now i don't play no more but i try to watch every Man Utd match on the telly. Live or rerun, i just love watching them play. And i hope i can keep posting about their exploits from now on. GGMU.

No comments:

Post a Comment